Tuesday, November 24, 2009

why I walk the yard

Sunday was the last nice day for the foreseeable future. Right about now the sun disappears behind a blanket of clouds not to be seen until April except for a few quick glimpses. Pat and I were sitting in the front when look what caught my eye. The anemones were blooming again. We tried splitting these guys a couple years ago and the plants have finally recovered, never to be split again.


This has got to be the last myrtle flower, but I think I said the same thing a couple of weeks ago. The myrtle stays green year round. Finding this little wonder is the reason I walk the yard every day. The sage is a very pleasant surprise. We have bundles hanging out to dry in the sun room. We'll give some away to our garden impaired friends. It started out as part of the center pieces at our oldest daughter's wedding, which happened in our back yard. Pat planted the center pieces after the wedding and hoped for the best. I've been pulling mint from our flower beds ever since. The sage and oregano took off like gangbusters.


5 comments:

Chloe m said...

That is a great way to describe those who don't garden, garden impaired. You are a crack up.
Sage is the best. I am finding new ways to use it all the time.
Rosey

Anonymous said...

Hi Jim, what an interesting title to your blog!!! It does make me laugh. This will be fun, seeing gardening through your eyes, I can tell you have a wicked sense of humor, and I mean that in the best possible way. We have found the best time to spread those wood anemones is in the early spring. :-)

Frances

lotusleaf said...

I like your witty post. Thanks for adding me to your favourite blogs.

janie said...

I am using some of my sage in my turkey and dressing tomorrow. Hope you have a great Turkey Day!

Noelle Johnson said...

Hi Jim,

I like your idea about walking around your yard. You never know what you will find....

Your sage is making me hungry for turkey tomorrow, which reminds me that I need to make my herb butter today.

Have a Happy Thanksgiving tomorrow!