Wednesday, May 25, 2011

need your help

One of my colleagues at work needs your help. She has this beautiful flower and can’t identify it. I looked at the picture and went: “pretty, I am clueless, but do you have any extras?” It blooms the same time as daffodils. It is growing under a lilac tree. Any and all help is appreciated. For some strange reason, people at work think that since I can grow hosta, I am all knowing in the area of gardening. Heck, I can’t even identify the hosta I have and I bought them.






10 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is Fritillaria meleagris, checkered lily or guinea flower. It's a bulb for shade. It grows and multiplies in my full shade woods. You can buy it in the fall and plant it like any other bulb.

Is the Wiz said...

One of my favourite bulbs Fritillaria meleagris, the snakeshead lily. It also comes in white and if it's happy, it will self seed. It's a wild flower here in the U.K. where it grows in riverside meadows.

Laura Bloomsbury said...

It's a Snake's Head Fritillary to me Jim, but google says you can also call it Checkered Daffodil, Chess Flower, Frog-cup, Leper Lily, Guinea-hen Flower.

Fritillaria meleagris - meleagris means ‘spotted like a guinea fowl’.

BernieH said...

Looks like Fritillaria, Jim. It's a member of the Liliaceae family. Beautiful blooms.

Gatsbys Gardens said...

Looks like Fritillaria. They are located in the John Scheepers bulb catalog.

Eileen

Larry said...

I believe it is Fritillaria meleagris... Larry

Lona said...

I see you have already gotten your answer for the Fritillaria. The checkered ones are so amazing to look at.

The Sage Butterfly said...

That is a very pretty Fritillaria...the colors and shape are just beautiful. Is she going to share some with you?

Anonymous said...

Yes, I am with the others it is a Fritillaria - grows wild here in the UK

Jim Groble said...

Thank you everyone for your help. You all are the greatest. jim