Friday, January 27, 2012

it's for the birds!

Thank you for all the kind remarks. I missed you guys and your gardening adventures also.
Pat and I feed the birds. We have bird feeders all over the yard, front and back. We also throw seed on the ground for the overflow crowd at lunch-time. I have long given up trying to keep squirrels out of the bird feeders. Squirrel-proof feeders are also Jim proof, so I don't bother. Squirrels and chipmunks are the cost of feeding the birds.
But enough is enough. I like Bambi as much as the next guy. I cried when Bambi or Thumper or was it Sneezy? died in the forest fire or got hit by the truck or whatever in the movies. Alright, maybe I wasn't paying attention, even at an early age, but for crying out loud. We plant sacrificial hosta for Bambi and crew. We dump corn and bird seed in piles on the ground. What do these guys want? Maybe I should put drink stands with tropical drinks with umbrellas and ash trays out there for the dinner crowd.


12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jim, your writing makes me giggle. Although feeding the birds can certainly be a challenge.

You certainly caught some great pictures at your feeders, though. Expensive entertainment, but it's nice to watch the deer I'd bet.

~Debra, Gardens Inspired

Gatsbys Gardens said...

What great photos, your property is like a nature preserve!

Eileen

Lona said...

They are not afraid are they? That one had a guilty look like."who me" but other than that they just roam where they will.They get into mine when the snow covers the ground but luckily here that has not been a big problem so far this winter. They may get washed away by the rain though. LOL! I keep hoping anyway.

Benjamin Vogt said...

Geeze, so glad I don't have deer here then. Can't believe they go straight for the feeders!

Larry said...

The concept of sacrificial hosta is pretty interesting and worth contemplating.I have gone to leaving suckers and low branching twigs on my magnolias for the rabbits this year and so far there is no damage that I can't abide, although I do some wrapping of trunks as well. Larry

Shady Gardener said...

Well, Jim. I like your attitude. If you can't "beat" 'em, you might as well enjoy 'em! ;-)

It must have been a cold day, also. You could see his breath! Great photos.

Anonymous said...

Love that "deer in the headlights" look he is giving you! Great post!

Anonymous said...

I have heard about this happening but never seen it caught on film. If deer didn't carry deadly Lyme ticks, I wouldn't mind them.

Anonymous said...

Those two look like they had a pretty good cooperative team effort going! Too funny (but probably expensive, too). -Jean

Kris said...

The deer around here can clean my feeders in no time, so I have to remember to bring them (the feeders) in at dusk.

Y'know I might even leave the seed out for them IF they would leave my shrubs alone, but you just can't reason with those guys. Pretty, yes. Bright, no.

Jan said...

This is just TOO funny, Jim! I have seen this exact scene, across the street at my neighbors! In my yard, my feeders are all up too high for the deer to reach. I have very high poles, and our deck is up high so the ones attached are above the deer's height. Seed IS expensive--however, I would have taken photos and posted them too, if that is what happened here. It's nature at it's best (well, maybe not!), but it's certainly 'natural'!!

Jayne said...

Hahaha! I love Bambi too, but I'm rather glad I don't have to host them for dinner every day. We did see one outside our fence a couple of years ago - on opening day of Deer Season, as it happened. I think he wanted in.