Friday, October 7, 2011

funerals stink

I got the phone call that I’ve expecting for the last year and a half. “Hurry.” “I’m on my way.” I drove thru a dark and rainy tunnel. A couple of days ago everything seemed fine, or as fine as fine gets considering the circumstances. I was comfortable living in the denial that it would be later rather than sooner. I got to Chicago in time to say goodbye. The Aunts and Uncles from Minnesota got there right when we were making those middle of the night phone calls. Man, did I hate to make those phone calls. By the time we had time to sleep it was around 4 in the morning. It was kind of funny that a sister, a niece and I all slept on couches in the family room. The idea of sleeping in Mom’s old room was just a little too creepy. We divvied up jobs the next morning. Off we went to make all the arrangements that you have to make. I got to see our youngest daughter, Sarah, for an hour. It was time to go back to Cleveland, board the boys, find a shirt that fits and oh, yeah, grab Pat. Back we went.

Boy, what a turnout. People from the old neighborhood, church, nieces and nephews, all turned out to see Mom off. It was a nice send off. All the people to see and things to do helped distract me from the reason we were all gathered.

The trip back to Cleveland was sunny and full of Fall color. It helped take the hurt out.

I love you Mom, always have, and always will. Give Dad a hug. He’s been waiting.
My Mom, Mary Ann Groble

14 comments:

BernieH said...

Sending you heartfelt condolences at this sad time. It was lovely that you did have the chance to say goodbye and that you had your family around you. I hope you all find the comfort you need to get through the days ahead, now that the busy time arranging your Mum's farewell is over.

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Sorry for your loss Jim.

FlowerLady

Gatsbys Gardens said...

My condolences Jim and family. They are always with us!

Eileen

Kyna said...

Aw, I'm sorry for your loss, Jim.

Curbstone Valley Farm said...

Jim and Pat, and I am so very sorry to read of your loss. May you take comfort in reflection of the cherished memories of your Mother.

Rohrerbot said...

Oh I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. It's never easy. Hang in there.

Is the Wiz said...

They do indeed. My deepest sympathy to you and yours.

Lona said...

I am so sorry for your loss Jim. Even when we expect them it does not lighten the blow.I am glad your were there to say goodbye. We always miss them and cherish all of the memories and good times. We go on in the assurance that we will get to see them again one day. Heartfelt condolences.

Anonymous said...

Jim, How lucky you are that your mother lived for so long--not that it makes any difference in how you feel when it's all over. So sorry, Carolyn

Jim Groble said...

Thank you one and all. jim

Anonymous said...

Jim, so very sorry for your loss. Blessings and comfort to you in the days to come...... I never see a rose bloom or a cardinal at our feeders that doesn't remind me of my mom. Take solace in the beauty of your garden.....

Catherine said...

Hi Jim, very sorry to hear about your Mom. I love that way you see them both together now, I hope it gives you comfort through what is a difficult time. X

Jean Campbell said...

Thinking of you through this sad time. I hope it is a small comfort to know that others care.

David said...

Sending prayers your way for the loss of your mother. Take comfort in the knowledge that she is in a better place and that one day you will be reunited. God Bless.