Sunday, October 10, 2010

pumpkin give-a-way

It’s time to take the yard back. Most of the pumpkins are ready to pick.

We invited the neighborhood kids to pick pumpkins. All we have left is 7 green pumpkins, and miles of vines. I think we gave away 20 some pumpkins so far. Pat and I pulled the vines that did not have any pumpkins. That was a trick, trying to find an end and following it to the beginning. There is now a huge pile of pumpkin vines in the compost pile.

Everyone went home happy.


Does every gardener have something under a tarp in the yard? This is my just in case supply of sweet peet. I'll need it to repare the damage the pumpkin vines caused.









7 comments:

Gatsbys Gardens said...

Jim, what a great thing to do. The kids looked like they were having a ball!

Eileen

Paul said...

You guys have Halloween coming, don't you? I assume all those taken will be suitably carved for the occasion.

The Idiot said...

Damn, if I'd have known I would have chucked on a pair of shorts and Ninja Mutant Turtle t-shirt and been around there in a flash!

Lona said...

I bet you two were popular with the pumpkin giveaway. Looks like you made some happy children very happy.

Is the Wiz said...

Thanks Jim, these pictures put a big smile on my face x

debsgarden said...

The children are lucky to have such a great pumpkin growing neighbor! Your photos show what a fun time they had. Those pumpkin vines remind me of kudzu!

Floridagirl said...

Lucky neighborhood kids! What a lot of fun! I'm sure you've given them memories to last a lifetime. I bet the parents were thrilled too, as it's a lot of work to haul young'uns off to a pumpkin patch.