Friday, March 12, 2010

put the snow shovel away

The last of the snow's lurking in the shadows like a Cuyahogo County politician waiting for the indictment. Hang up your winter coats and put the snow shovel back on its hook. I, for one, am willing to suspend belief in the hope that the snow's gone till next year. The snow's disappearance revealed day lilies, goats beard, tulips, hellebore's, and weeds all pushing through the ground. The vinca vines that went native a couple years ago also came back. They look like they stayed green all winter under the snow. It's time to get in the dirt and get the gardens ready for sweet peet.

We have to move the hellebore's. They are in a deer path.
Moss is always cool to look at.



This will be the last grass I will cut down because I just like looking at it. I never really understood "texture" in a garden till we planted this guy.


It has got to be spring. These guys don't winter over.





11 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow, you have mourning cloaks already? that's impressive. Otherwise your garden is coming awake quickly, isn't it? That's great. I think that the worst of winter IS behind us. Here's hoping, anyway.

Shady Gardener said...

A mourning cloak! Beautiful. Do you also have chipmunks? ;-) Looking good over there, Jim!

Carol said...

How exciting Jim! I hope you are right about the snow! To see a butterfly so soon... my my! ;>)

Anonymous said...

Jim, How exciting to see all that greenery! My garden isn't as far along as yours -- more snow still on the ground -- but I'm seeing plants starting to push up out of the ground, too. And, like you, I just can't believe in any more significant snowfall this year. -Jean

Meredith said...

What a beautiful visitor hanging out in your garden, even before the snow has completely gone. You definitely have to save that poor hellebore. So glad you realized what was happening. (I would have been mystified.)

Enjoy the first hints of spring, Jim!

debsgarden said...

It's great to see your garden awakening. I am way down in the Deep South, so my spring is further along, but i haven't seen a butterfly yet. Good for you!

Anonymous said...

Dear Jim, What a transformation. I have only ever known your garden under snow. It must be so exciting after the long months of winter to take possession of your garden once more.

D said...

Jim, I hope you're ready... Spring is here!!! and a butterfly already? now that is exciting. Hope your week was a good one and your weekend filled with great things. Diana

sanddune said...

It's neat to see the new growth emerging from what was snowcovered. I look forward to being able to view your garden in the sunshine.

Lona said...

I put our snow shovel away yesterday and hope I do not have to drag it back out. Enjoyed the sunshine yesterday cleaning the beds and yard from winters leftovers. You have a lot coming up now and I cannot believe you spotted a moth. It is a beauty. You two have a wonderful weekend.
Lona

Kelly said...

Hurrah for spring! I've been taking a class this week and have seen the day lily foliage on the south facing wall grow inches just since Monday. What fun we all have in store for us. Love the photo of the last patch of snow. I had a matching one on Thursday but it is no more! Thanks for picking my post on blotanical.
Kelly