Friday, January 1, 2010

visiting a garden center somewhere in southern california

Sometime during my transformation into a gardener, I started stopping by garden centers and nurseries whenever I traveled. I'm always looking for interesting plants and yard ornamentation. You never know what you will find. Katie and Sean have tasked Pat, Annie and me with figuring out what to plant in their yard. That will be the subject of a forthcoming blog. In our touring with Annie we stopped by her local garden center. It was a marvelous place with lots of plants and stuff. I approached a nursery worker for help. We wanted to buy Annie a bush for her yard. When I explained this to the young lady, she said: "Oh her, we know Annie, She's here all the time." She took the bush I had picked and got a better speciman. We bought Annie a blueberry bush. Pat and I are going to plant one in the front yard this spring so we can compare how each is doing. I'd like to plant everything I took pictures of in our yard. I wonder how the airlines feel about carry-on plants?




This type fern was Katie's one attempt at apartment gardening. Pat and I bought it for her on our first visit. It didn't make it.




There's flowers, sunshine and bees. What am I going to do?



How could I resist taking another picture of a bee?



Finally something I recognize. It's a hellebore. I never thought of the lenten rose as a southern California plant. Maybe it's because I've never seen a yard with shade in southern California.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What IS that orange and yellow flower? (http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_mZJECe1_dZE/Sz6F7qetJzI/AAAAAAAAGS8/Y6sZ2l62sVU/s1600-h/12-26+164.jpg) Looks like a strawflower maybe? I love it!

Noelle Johnson said...

Hi Jim,

I have often wished I could sneak some plants into my luggage, but have never had the guts to do it. I am looking forward to seeing your next post about the Calif garden.

Lona said...

I do not know what they are either Jim. LOL/ Like you the Hellebore I know. I love the first one with the red and yellow bloom. It is gorgeous. It would have been tempting to sneak it into a suitcase, the heck with clothes. LOL.

Town Mouse said...

Sounds like a fun visit! We've had bees up here in Northern CA as well, which is just a bit unusual. I hope it gets colder and wetter soon.

Carol said...

I think you would have a hard time getting all those plants on a plane! lol! Lovely photos! Carol