Friday, January 8, 2010

Katie and Sean's garden palette

I haven't blogged in the last few days because Pat's and my commute time has risen to two and a half hours in the evening. I love car pooling with Pat because it's quality time we can spend together. If you can call two plus hours of white knuckle driving quality. It's been snowing a pretty type of snow that is fun to watch but tough to drive in. The snow trucks can't seem to get ahead of it. By the time we get home, it's too dark to take pictures. But enough about the snow.

This is Katie and Sean's home. Didn't know that New England colonists made it all the way to California to build colonial style townhouses, did you? What they want Pat, Annie and me to create is an outside room, using bushes, trees and perennials as a sight block and background. Everything has to be low maintenance because of their schedule. That and the garden gene in their DNA hasn't kicked in yet. The front faces northeast and gets only morning sun.

The balcony faces southwest and gets full afternoon sun from noon on. We found an excellent balcony pot at a blotanical member site. You can check out the pots at urbangardensweb at:
http://www.urbangardensweb.com/2010/01/03/slip-something-over-on-your-balcony/

We were thinking of potato and vinca vines on the outside of the balcony and herbs on the inside. Something in a pot in one corner.

Once again, I ask all my friends at Blotanical for help. This rust belt gardener needs all the help he can get.




4 comments:

Bangchik and Kakdah said...

The houses are so nice and neat.... I love the look. Yea..., driving in snow could be fun, but driving in rain here, huh...., tough and scary. haha... cheers, ~bangchik

Rebecca @ In The Garden said...

What a beautiful house, and great patio! The pots you linked to are a great idea, I could imagine them being kind of tippy though, depending on the width of railing. Perhaps ordering one and trying it would be a good idea?

I definitely picture a tree on the left side, something ornamental and delicate (japanese maple?) that will provide some shade and privacy. Also, a couple of large decorative planters would look great at the 2 front (or 2 right, depending on furniture placement) corners of the patio area. Something tall and dramatic (like cannas) might look good as their focal points. I like your vine idea, will they be climbing the fence? It's a great space to work with, enjoy!

I am considering a wrought iron fence for my front yard, and your pictures have peaked my interest again. Sorry to hear about the loooong commute, glad you can put a positive spin on it.

Rebecca @ In The Garden said...

Another thought..maybe a Viburnum dentatum 'Red Feather' or other variety. Fountain Grass looks great in large pots, I especially like the purple one. :)

Yan said...

Sweet house. Something I'm considering as a screen at the front is bamboos in pots. I like the thought of the wind rustling through it.