Tuesday, January 19, 2010

so close to Big Blue

The snow's been melting away these last few days. You would be surprised by what you can find in the melting snow. I found animal tracks exaggerated by the melting snow. The ducks' tracks bring wonder and joy to me. It's good to see the rabbit tracks, even though rabbits and Pat are sworn enemies. Come to think of it, the boys don't like the rabbits either. Well you can't be a food source for the animals, birds, and ducks and not expect them from showing up.
I always knew that a deer trail went through our back yard. I even have a rather laissez-faire attitude towards some hosta nibbling at the edges of the yard. I mean, after all, we have somewhere over 400 hostas scattered around the yard. But look how close the deer run comes to Big Blue. Big Blue in its present state are those dried out stalks in the lower right forefront of the first picture. Maybe I need snow fencing for more than the veggie garden. Maybe Pat will like day-glo orange.


Who do you think made this track?


The enemy or bambi? A big bambi maybe, but bambi none the less.

At least the rabbits are using the paths I built.

Ducks, ducks and more ducks

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a fascinating blog. I am so glad that I came across you in Blotanical as a fellow blogger. Your opening image of all green I thought lovely.

Lona said...

Beginning to look like a major freeway through your hosta patch.I hope they find a new path before big blue starts growing again.
400 hosta! Wow, that is a bunch. I am imagining a jungle of hosta's. Must be very pretty indeed.

Noelle Johnson said...

I think I love the duck prints the most ;-)

Bren Haas said...

Isn't that something... everyone goes off my path as well. I guess that makes them adventurous!

Can't wait till spring - how about you?

Melissa said...

Go for deer fencing from Brenners if necessary (as a designer and home gardener with deer problems, I sympathize). What a great Big Blue! My biggest is a Sum and Substance under a huge beech tree in my front yard.

Love that header photos of all your hostas!