Monday, May 9, 2011

plants in the oddest places

Sometimes plants pop up in unexpected places. I was weeding Sunday when I ran across these little beauties. I’m always surprised when hosta seeds itself. This little guy will end up in a pot till it grows up. I have to find a home for the little ligularia before Pat gets home. She has gone to the dark side regarding ligularia. She thinks ligularia is invasive and I am afraid that this may be proof. I hate to the use the term invasive. It is so subjective. I much prefer to think of them as a plant which is relatively easy to grow and has pretty flowers.


7 comments:

Donna said...

I had never seen hostas seed either until last year..there are little guys all over the hosta garden..such a wonderful surprise

Jess said...

I hear ya.. I have Sedum Autumn Joy growing amongst the gravel of my parking spaces. This despite having eradicated my garden of it. Or so I thought....

Esther Montgomery said...

The other day, I heard on the radio that hostas are edible. Have you ever eaten them?

Esther

The Redneck Rosarian said...

I just love it when this happens. We had several wave petunias spring up on the cracks of our brick patio last summer. They bloomed their hearts out. Don't you just love the tenacity of plants?

Lona said...

It is always fun to see new plants springing up. They do find the strangest places to start growing sometimes. Ligularia invasive!!! Now you tell me! LOL! Just kidding. I am sure I can keep those beauties in check.

Kris said...

More hostas = more fun. :-D

Shirley said...

Hello again, Jim :-)

I love to discover the escapees too... but a hosta seedling! Brilliant, I've never seen that... would love to though :-)

Sh... we won't tell Pat about the ligularia. Easy to grow... I like that :-)