Monday, September 5, 2011

through the eyes of children

I walk outside and all I see is the work I have to do. I don’t have any projects left this year till mid fall when we dump another 5 yards of sweet peet. The work I’m talking about is the everyday work that gardener’s experience: grass that has spread into a flower bed or weeds popping their ugly heads up. It has been so wet this spring and summer that weeds seem to grow by the foot before my eyes.
Sometimes it takes a new set of eyes to drag me back to why I garden. Our friend Sarah brought her three girls over for a garden tour. They hunted for decorative rabbits and smelled flowers. To watch the girls wandering around the garden brought a smile and renewed the sense of adventure in Pat and Jim’s gardening adventure. The girls never saw a weed or a plant out of place.

5 comments:

Lona said...

Looks like they are having a great garden adventure exploring the paths. More Peet! No wonder your garden grows so well.

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Oh the sweet joy of being young, where so many things are new and an adventure. It is hard to go out into our own gardens and just enjoy, without seeing all that needs to be done.

Your gardens do look lovely.

FlowerLady

Anonymous said...

Some times we need to see the world - including our gardens - through the eyes of children. As a Danish saying goes, "from children and drunkards you will hear the truth", and perhaps your garden is a wondrous place, regardless of a few weeds.

sarah manville gann said...

As always, the girls could not have loved it more.

Catherine said...

O that was a lovely post with such truth about the joy of seeing the world through the eyes of a child. I think you have that magic yourself alright. I love the garden too!