Monday, March 14, 2011

snow free?

The last of the snow is hiding out in the shadows, like a Cuyahoga politician waiting for the indictment. The water has mostly drained off so it’s time to get into the yard. Luckily, the brains of the operation was with me, so we mainly looked around the yard. Boy, is it a mess. The yard is strewn with branches, overturned yard ornamentation, toppled bunnies and muck. And then there are the deer tracks. The yard is one large mud pit this time of year so the tracks are easy to see. If the kids were still little, I would be making plaster molds, but the kids are grown and I really want the deer to move elsewhere. Michigan would be fine or Pennsylvania, if they prefer. Heck, if they moved to the other side of the street, I would be happy. Meanwhile, I am throwing orange peels where ever I see deer tracks.

Amongst all the muck and deer tracks are signs of spring. Ladies mantle and swamp marigolds are growing. The hellebores are finally snow free, so how far away can blooms be? Now if only we could stay rain or snow free for a couple weeks.




5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jim, Those pix look a lot like my CT patch, just finally almost free of snow - the brown muck before the hopefully swift greening up. Hope your hellebores bloom soon!

Shady Gardener said...

Do you think? I'm keeping the leaf mulch handy, still! :-) We have no snow right now though. And we have a few little bulbs poking through! (yea!)

Anonymous said...

Wow, Jim, look at all that bare ground! It's been snowing today in Maine, and mud season is just beginning. I was amazed to hear a story in Maine Public Radio this week with someone from the state Department of Fish and Wildlife expressing concern about the shrinking size of the deer herd. Maybe you could get the word out to your deer that they should consider moving to Vacationland (not to my garden, though!). -Jean

Alistair said...

Things do look messy at the moment Jim, at least we have turned the corner. I could send you a few Scottish red deer, just for a change.

Jess said...

Hey Jim, my big guy hosta s(sum/substance) is coming up and immediately thought of you. Sounds like you'll be in the green soon!