Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Better than meeting the Pope

The highlight of a weekend full of highlights was the trip to the home of Mike Shadrack and Kathy Guest Shadrack. They are both renowned authors and live in a woodland wonderland near Hamburg NY. Their house is built over a creek, a creek for crying out loud. How cool is that?
When I got off the bus I was stunned, in awe, fill in the blank. I think it was Melissa from Houston Garden Girl who said “breathe Jim, breathe.” There was hosta as far as I could see. Beautiful green hosta. Hosta in pots, hosta in planters, hosta in the ground; a cornucopia of hosta. I had arrived at the Graceland of hosta.
There were gardens to tour. One was Kathy Guest Shadrack's wonderful sun garden with the most beautiful lilies. It is built on a hill with paths that meander through the beds. You could get lost in the open, being overwhelmed by the beauty. Pat and I next visited the mini hosta garden which is set in the woods (as opposed to the rest of the property, which is also set in the woods). The hostas were in nooks and crannies, growing in rotting wood -- they were everywhere I looked. It was beautiful, like wandering through the Cuyahoga National Park, but better. We hiked along the woodland paths moving up the hill, seeing more hostas, till we pumped into a deer fence. That explains why I didn’t see any teeth marks on the hosta. Pat and I sacrifice hosta every year to deer.
The ultimate wow moment occurred when I got my picture taken with Mike Shadrack. It was better than meeting the pope.












Happy as a little kid who just met Santa.

24 comments:

BernieH said...

Sounds like you were mightily impressed! Better than meeting the Pope, huh? Now what would poor Pope Benedict, aka Joseph,have to say about that! Thanks for sharing your visit to this marvellous garden.

Anonymous said...

I loved this garden so much, and the Shadracks were lovely too!

The Idiot said...

A house over a creek? Just when I think I've finished the DIY, I have to dig a bloody creek!

Joyce said...

Oh, what a lucky man you are. I would been happier then a pig in mud. Awesome post and thanks for sharing....Hosta and Fern heaven is right!

Kyna said...

I really wanted to see a picture of you doing the Wayne's World 'I'm not worthy!' bow, but that last picture of you looking happy is just as good ;) I'm glad you got to visit your Hosta Mecca ;D

Gail said...

it was a real treat to see their garden~I must be honest and admit that I left a tad envious! I think I told you that hostas decline here~I might try a few of the little mice in containers! gail ps loved idiot gardener's comment!

Rosie Nixon Fluerty said...

I was just thinking about you this morning at breakfast time Jim when I read Carol's post and she showed the little dwarf ones and I wondered if you would ever have one of those. Sounds like you were on cloud 9 over at Buffalo - I have been amazed by the photos that bloggers have posted on this place.

Anonymous said...

Just like it for such a hosta lover as you, Jim! The Shadrack garden was a treat for us all, roomy and so well planted. A real retreat. The cream tea was delightful, as was meeting you and Pat.
Frances

EAL said...

Graceland of hosta. I like that, and I am sure Mike would too.

Lona said...

LOL! I bet you were immediate friends with all of this hosta gardening going on. Glad you had such a wonderful time. How great is that creek going under the house? Wow!

Is the Wiz said...

What a great post! Loved the dark lilies and the hosta set against the rocks but best of all was your overflowing enjoyment. I bet they enjoyed meeting people who really appreciated what they'd done.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you thought you died and went to hosta heaven, Jim. Do you see a planting of mini-hostas in your future? -Jean

Elspeth said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Elspeth said...

Amazing hostas! Why are mine not like that?! They are ravaged by slugs :o(

Elspeth (Oxford, UK)

MyBlog
MyGardenSchool

Meredith said...

Your smile made me smile back, automatically. I love to see you radiating joy and contentment, Jim. :)

Your pictures are just gorgeous!

And now I want a house over a creek... ah, must be bliss. :)

Amy said...

What a beautiful, peaceful place! The hostas and lilies are very pretty...to say the least.
You look like a very happy gardener!

Anonymous said...

delightful Jim, good on you...

Susan said...

Got to love that dark red lily!!!

Anonymous said...

I love your garden and blog and photos! Just wonderful! And thank you for welcoming me to Blotanical all those weeks ago. I'm finally returning the favor.

Nanina

Mr. McGregor's Daughter said...

That was an amazing garden, definitely my favorite. I was so overwhelmed, I forgot to take a photo of Mike.

kathyshadrack said...

Thank you for all the fabulous comments. It was a thrill to host you and it's a thrill to read about it. You're welcome any time.
The POPE huh? I don't think so!

Houston Garden Girl said...

I don't think I was the one who told you to breath, I don't think I was breathing either. It's funny, I just finished up my post about the Shadrack's home, I have a picture of Pat (from the side) getting her tea which made me think to come visit your site. We both described their house as a woodland wonderland! Ahh, I feel happy just thinking about it!

debsgarden said...

A house built over a creek! My dream! Your photos give a glimpse of some gorgeous gardens. I think it would have taken my breath away, too!

Gloria Bonde said...

Jim- It sounds like you had a fantastic time! Wow on that black lilly! You made me laugh!